Sun, Mar 20|
Grids cafe (3rd floor studio)
Journey To The Where?
Charity doesn't have to lie at the ends of the world. 博爱始于家庭, 百善孝为先
Time & Location
Mar 20, 2:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Grids cafe (3rd floor studio), 200 South Bridge Rd
About the event
* All safe management measures will be adhered to. Masks are required at all times.
* Pls bring your own snacks and water bottle. There will be time set aside for tea.
In this session, we will introduce your child to two classic texts not usually read together: The 16th century Ming novel Journey To The West and the Yuan Dynasty book, 24 Paragons of Filial Piety (二十四孝), which was an influential text used to impart Confucian values in medieval China.
- Monkey time! (Carefully observing and mimicking the many antics and traits of monkeys!)
- To The West & Back In 60min: Reliving Sun Wukong’s life story, and analysing the wisdom (or lack thereof) of his life choices.
- Understanding what Power means (via Hershey's chocolates).
- How we can be the best versions of ourselves, right where we are.
- Introducing “孝”, the Chinese character for “filial piety”, and the origins of its pictogram through 甲骨文 (oracle bone script, the earliest form of Chinese writing).
- Relive the stories from the 24 Paragons of Filial Piety, such as 卧冰求鲤 (“Lying on the ice for carp”) and 涤亲溺器 (“Cleaning your loved one’s chamber pot").
- Appreciate (and even critically evaluate) the value of filial piety.
* Curriculum is subject to minor changes